Blog Archive

All Posts

About This Blog

Every other month our blog posts a tutorial showing how to take at home the pictures we create in the studio. If you have a question about our suggestions please don’t hold back - write to us.

Would you like Via U! to create your photography instead of doing it yourself? Anywhere in the world you live, we are here to help.

Share It

Via U! Photography

About Me

I am an advertising photographer in NYC. My pictures help large corporations sell more and keep their brands looking fresh. I am also the founder of Via U!, an online studio dedicated to creating photography that helps people selling in Etsy increase their sales too.

25. February 2011 22:49

How to Take Pictures of a Bottle

When taking pictures of a bottle you may need to put light behind it to make it look transparent. Here is how using cardboard and aluminum foil you can achieve professional looking results.

First we’ll need to make a small stage where to put the bottle. Find a cardboard box that it’s taller than the bottle you want to photograph and remove the top flaps and two of the sides.

I used pieces of paper to cover the inside of the box. You can use any material you like. Fabric is a great idea because there is so much to choose from. Using something distinctive helps to make your picture look special.

I lined the inside of the box with white foam core to make it rigid. Then covered only two sides with paper to let the light reflect back. You can also tape a piece of white paper to make light bounce back.

Use the object you want to photograph as a template to cut a piece of cardboard of the same shape. Wrap the cut-out in aluminum foil.

Put the bottle in the set leaving a few inches of space between the bottle and the back wall.

Make rings of tape and use them to stick the cut-out to something that can hold it standing up.

Put the cut-out behind the bottle and turn it to make the light coming in from the window reflect and go through the bottle.

Looking from the position where you will put the camera find the angle that makes the most light go through.

With and without the card in the back!

Shower Gel: Courtesy of Valley Green Naturals.

We

Tags:

Comments (16) -

Cindy & Art
Cindy & Art
3/1/2011 5:11:07 PM #

Wow!  What a great photography tip!  Thanks for sharing your secrets with us, Mariano.

Lily
Lily
3/9/2011 3:27:52 AM #

This is really creative!  Excellent tips.

Holly Kerkes
Holly Kerkes
3/9/2011 10:30:53 PM #

You are utterly brilliant!  I used your product photography for $12 techniques, and they worked so beautifully!  Thank you so much for sharing!Holly Kerkes

Via U! Blog
Via U! Blog
3/10/2011 6:26:46 PM #

I am glad the article helped you to get better pictures Holly.Would it be possible to post here a link to your photographs? Your input would help make this blog better.m.

Danielle Daws
Danielle Daws Australia
10/7/2011 1:56:37 AM #

Wow... that is utterly brilliant!

Jessica Sage
Jessica Sage United States
12/21/2011 1:51:39 AM #

This is a really great tip! Thx for sharing =)

nanc best
nanc best United States
1/2/2012 7:22:06 PM #

I have been trying to get good shots of my wine glasses i etch. I think with a little modification your idea will work for me too! THANK YOU for sharing.... only a true artist will share his "secrets"

Ken rockwell
Ken rockwell United States
3/5/2012 6:24:46 AM #

Hi ,This one is great and is really a good post . I think it will help me a lot in the related stuff and is very much useful for me.Very well written I appreciate & must say good job..

Pedro Vera-Perez
Pedro Vera-Perez United States
4/22/2012 11:16:15 AM #

Thanks so much for your tutorial, I used it yesterday and it was a lot of fun to setup the shot. I also needed to make some changes because I get very little sunlight I can route around, but the idea of the bottle-shaped reflector is pure genius.

Phil
Phil United Kingdom
4/27/2012 5:45:40 AM #

Hi

I came across this, as I have tried experimenting with many different ways of shooting my impossible bottles:

I love the idea of the cut-out, but that's not possible for me, as you'd be able to see it through the glass!

Do you have any tips on how I could improve my photos?

Thanks

Charles
Charles United States
5/1/2012 8:09:08 AM #

This is just the detail I was searching for. I wish I'd discovered your blog before.

Casey
Casey United States
5/5/2012 8:11:34 AM #

I really like your blog and there are some interesting points made. There are so many sites out there which are badly presented that it's a pleasant suprise to find a good one.

commodity tips
commodity tips United States
7/27/2012 6:42:18 AM #

This is a really excellent tip! Thx for giving =)

Karyl
Karyl United States
9/12/2012 8:39:39 AM #

I hope that at some point you'll offer tutorials on taking pics of artwork. If you've done that already, I apologize, I've not looked at the archives.
Meanwhile, thanks! I am sure I'll use this technique or a variant.

canvas printing
canvas printing United Kingdom
4/15/2013 4:55:21 AM #

this is a great tip and one i will be trying out today thanks for sharing.

Ürün Fotoğrafçısı
Ürün Fotoğrafçısı Turkey
6/7/2013 8:03:35 PM #

That is utterly brilliant!